The original Holy Trinity church was built in Sydenham Park where Trinity Court now stands. Its first incumbent, Charles Stevens, was appointed in 1866; he had previously been the Minister at the Sydenham Road Chapel, which later became All Saints' church hall in Trewsbury Road.
Holy Trinity has always been at the evangelical Low Church end of the Anglican spectrum because one of its two patrons are the Simeon Trustees. The Rev Charles Simeon (1759-1836) was a fervent (and wealthy) Cambridge evangelical, who bought up the patronage of many churches to ensure a succession of like-minded incumbents.
In the mid-40s, we moved temporarily into the hall while the war-damaged church was being repaired. They were eventful days: during the decade of Rev. K.C. Phillips (1949-1959), the brother of J.B. Phillips, the Bible translator, 9 young people were accepted for Ordination or service overseas, some of whom had received their primary education on the site of the Church of the Resurrection when St Bartholomew's School stood there!
During the long hot summers of the mid-70s cracks appeared in the church building, rendering it unsafe. A barn of a building, it held 1,200 but in spite of being modelled on Bath Abbey and having the largest stained-glass east window south of the Thames, it was judged to have no architectural merit and therefore was declared redundant. One Sunday in the early 80s, halfway through Morning Prayer, the congregation processed out into our current place of worship, the hall.